Hey Denver – Are you ready to get funky with us?
Everything you need to know about Orpheus Brewing at GABF.
- An air portends – It begins. This 13.1% imperial stout is thick, silky, and fluffy from 32 hours of boiling and 14 months in bourbon barrels, giving support to the creamy, rich fudge from the macadamia nuts and vanilla beans. We roasted the macadamia nuts in-house to bring out their chocolatey depth, and let the vanilla beans meld for months in the barrels to release all they have to give.
- fragmentation of silence – Our Méthode Traditionnelle is the truest expression of our native funk. Beginning with a long turbid mash utilizing GA raw wheat and being inoculated with only the air in our coolships, it then spontaneously ferments in barrels. For fragmentation of silence, we sourced traditional lambic cherries from Serbia and fermented them with select barrels for intense cherry fused with the underlying native funk.
- under the shadows – A blend of 3 year old wild beers yield a surprisingly bright base beer. Blended largely from Sauternes barrels that went into the original Even the Furies Wept and Atalanta Reserva – 4.5 year old plums still inside – we feel age in our short history here. Into this base went almost 4#/gallon of blueberries. under the shadows is dry with soft acidicity and intense wine character, redolent of an oaked Petit Verdot with soft tannins, blueberry, sugarplum, and cherry.
- a light threatens meekly – The result from a staff blending contest, a light threatens meekly is a blend of bourbon and rye whiskey barrel-aged barleywine, adambier, and stout that’s deceptively soft and silky for its 13.7%. Led by the adambier, it’s a feature for smooth malt and warm whiskey barrel, with cascading flavors of toffee, dried raisins and dates, milk chocolate, light vanilla, leather, and spice.
- the dark everlasting. – For a 13.6% imperial stout that used the remaining 39 month old Double Barrel • Double Vanilla Abandon All Hope barrel that sat an extra 6 months on vanilla beans, blended it with more vanilla bean bourbon barrel-aged stout, all of it boiling 30+ hours, it would be absurd to add another adjunct. So we went more absurd. We cooked white coconuts in a bakery proofing cabinets for 5 weeks to create black coconuts. The black coconuts bring a hazelnut and caramel bridge between the chocolate of the stout and the richness of the vanilla beans for waves of creamy fudge, marshmallow, and flan.
Our Méthode Traditionelle program highlights the truest expression of our native funk. This event will feature: Everything Lasts Forever, our spontaneous coolship Méthode Traditionelle brewed with 1, 2, and 3 year old coolship barrels, I Am Only Memories, a Méthode Traditionelle with fresh raspberry added for the perfecrt fruit to funk balance, and finally fragmentation of silence, our newest Méthode Traditionelle brewed with GA raw wheat and traditional lambic cherries of Serbia. We will also be serving a unique blend created by a staff gathering, released at our anniversary earlier this year. a light threatens meekly is a blend of bourbon and rye whiskey barre;-aged barleywine, adambier, and stout that’s deceptively soft and silky for its 13.1%.